Neon Tetras are the centerpiece without being a centerpiece in most aquariums due to their striking blue and red color. Seeing them act strange is pretty easy to tell due to them being as striking as they are. In this article, we will cover how your neon tetra can be stressed, symptoms, and what can happen when your neon tetra is stressed.
Appetite: If your Neon Tetra is stressed you will notice its eating behavior. When we humans are stressed we are not hungry so why should it be any different for our fish?
Strange Swimming: Unfortunately, when fish are stressed they can develop weird and strange swimming patterns. Your fish may look like it’s trying to go somewhere fast when there isn’t any reason for it to be acting like that. This is a clear indication of stress. The Neon Tetra as well as other fish can hit the sides of their tank frantically swimming and damage their mouths. They can also crash into the bottom of your aquarium or rub themselves on the gravel on the bottom. When you see that your fish is stressed be sure to contact your local veterinarian.
Disease: There are many different kinds of diseases your neon tetra can catch when they are stressed. Ich is a very common disease that can happen where white spots can appear on their body and cause internal and external damage. If you see this happen be sure to contact your local veterinarian for possible treatments.
Gasping For Air: When your fish is lacking oxygen you will see him or her gasping at the surface of the water. This indicates low water quality and needs to be handled ASAP.
Why Is My Neon Tetra Stressed
There are many reasons as to why your neon tetra could be stressing out. Unfortunately, there are quite a few but knowing them will decrease the likelihood of it happening or make it better for them overall.
- Low Water Quality
- Bullied By Other Fish
- Bright Tank Lighting
- No Hiding Places
- Too Much Salt
- High Nitrate
- Changes in Water Levels
- Temperature Changed Too Much
- New Tank Mates
What Happens When My Neon Tetra Is OverStressed?
Unfortunately, the neon tetra will have its color begin to fade away. This will eventually consume the tetra unless you add more neon tetras with them. It’s recommended to add 1 per gallon depending on your tank. They would normally school in the wild so making it more of a natural setting will get rid of this problem and bring their color back.
Neon Tetra Disease
Seeing a neon tetra get this disease is a sad sad thing to have to experience. If it’s not handled NOW the other neon tetras will get the disease and it’s almost impossible to cure. Quarantine the infected neon tetra and immediately to prevent the others from getting it if they haven’t already got it. Contact the place where you purchased your tetra in case the others are infected as well. Contact your local veterinarian for medication advice.
There are cases where a fish of any kind really can become so stressed they can actually die. This can be seen in females as well as the males are ready to mate so much that the female cannot take him pestering her, and even stressing her out to death. Just like some couples I know.
If your Neon Tetra is stressed take immediate action and do not let it prolong unless disease or death will follow. A Neon Tetra can live a short 1 to 3-year life span in your aquarium so it would be sad if their life was cut short by stress.
What To Read Next
- nctetsHello, this is a test post.
- How Do You Clean Substrate?You can clean substrate specifically gravel by using a gravel vacuum to remove fish waste and decomposing matter. Yes, I know it’s simple and common knowledge but not everyone knows exactly how to clean aquarium substrate which is why we made this article to teach aquarium enthusiasts more about aquarium maintenance. When you are ready to clean your tank there …
- Do Cory Catfish Clean The Tank?Yes, Corydoras Catfish will clean the tank. The Corydoras Catfish will clean uneaten food, and scavenge in all the hard-to-reach areas of your tank that your fish would have otherwise missed. The cory catfish is a good scavenger fish but nonetheless, they will not be able to help with your algae maintenance. The Corydoras Catfish will eat pretty much anything. …
- What Is A Corydoras CatfishThe corydoras catfish is only one of the most favorited scavenger fish in the aquarium hobby! The corydoras catfish is an excellent addition to community tanks since it is content with scavenging for scraps. The corydoras catfish is also one of the most peaceful fish you could ever meet as well so you shouldn’t expect much out of these little …
- Can Axolotls change gender?No, Axolotls cannot change their gender. However, their sex is hard to distinguished when they are very young and still quite hard to determine as they mature but the main differences between males and females is their body length and their belly. Males have a longer body and tail with a slimmer body. Females have a bloated body and the …
- Why Are So Many People Interested In The Aquarium HobbyMany people are interested in the unknown and the discovery of unknown places which is why it peaks our interest as humans. So why wouldn’t we want to learn more about the fish and plants that inhabit those environments? The idea of knowing you can study and care for aquatic life under your own household and learn more about the …
- Zebra Danios Care Guide – Dieting, Breeding, PH, Types, SizeIn this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about zebra danios care to properly care for your zebra danios. You will learn what they need, how they propagate, what environments they are native to, and much more you will want to learn. If you enjoy the article be sure to share it with your friends, family, and …
- Complete Guide To Amazon Sword CareIn this guide to amazon sword care, you will learn how to properly care for your amazon sword plant, and learn more interesting facts about amazon sword plants. If you enjoy the article then be sure to share it with your friends, family, and followers on the web. What Is An Amazon Sword Table of Contents What Is An Amazon …
- Complete Guide To Arrowheads CareIn this arrowheads care guide, you will learn how to properly care for your arrowhead plant. Arrowhead plants are one of the many favorited indoor plants. Despite this you can use arrowhead plants in a setup but you will have to keep reading to find out what kind of setup. Arrowhead Plant Care Table of Contents Arrowhead Plant CareHow Do …
- Complete Guide To Cryptocoryne CareIn this article we will discuss everything you need for cryptocoryne care, how big they can get, their natural environment, whether they are beginner-friendly or not for beginners. What Is Cryptocoryne Table of Contents What Is CryptocoryneCryptocoryne CareHow Much Light Does Cryptocoryne NeedHow Fast Does Cryptocoryne GrowHow Big Does Cryptocoryne GetDoes Cryptocoryne Remove ChemicalsIs Cryptocoryne InvasiveIs Cryptocoryne A Floating Plant …